People who suffer from anxiety disorder are normally prescribed drugs to counteract their anxiety. However, oftentimes, anti-anxiety medicines only deal with the symptoms and not the root causes. Anxiety sufferers who have been prescribed drugs often find a dislike for them. The reason is because people who have been taking anti-anxiety medication suffer also from their side effects, not to mention the thought that they are not really getting any better.
There are, however, alternatives to drugs in dealing with anxiety disorders. Here are some foods and drinks that can help you fight anxiety.
1) Stress can be relieved by a warm cup of Chamomile tea. You mind will feel relaxed and your thoughts will be soothed. If you find it hard to sleep at night, Chamomile can help you sleep. The sedative components in the tea brings you to a relaxed frame of mind.
2) Turkey contains a substance called tryptophan that can trick your mind in feeling more calm and relaxed. Tryptophan is related to serotonin, a chemical that helps the brain deal with anxiety. Tryptophan consumed through food also helps in relieving anxiety.
3) Eating avocado can help you maintain good mental and psychological well-being. Avocados help lower blood pressure because of its potassium content. It can help you prevent anxiety-induced heart attack by keeping your heart rate steady.
4) Green leafy vegetables mixed with hemp oil is good for your brain. Stress and anxiety can be brought to a manageable level with these foods. Magnesium is a substance that keeps your brain-adrenal axis in good condition, and green leafy vegetables are rich in magnesium.
5) Dark chocolate calms you. It’s because it has loads of cocoa that contain stress relievers.
6) Turmeric aids in reducing the incidence of anxiety and stress. Turmeric has many healthy properties like anti-inflammatory, healing, and maintaining blood sugar balance.
7) One of the substances that reduce the incidence of anxiety is folic acid. Folic acid is found richly in asparagus. When the level of folic acid in your body goes down, your brain’s neurotransmitters will be impaired, this causes anxiety and stress.
8) Organ meats such as liver are also rich in vitamin B. Vitamin B is also necessary for methylation, a process responsible for serotonin production.
9) Your brain needs zinc to stay healthy, and oysters contain a lot of zinc. If your zinc level drops below normal, this can cause anxiety.
10) Your gut needs to be healthy for your brain to be healthy. Kefir is a good source of probiotics that keep your gut in good shape.